Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Strength in Weakness

I feel so weak. I feel inadequate. I feel small. But my dreams are so big. My calling so huge. I am to be a messenger for my King. A deliver of the GOSPEL and rescuer of the weak. I am so small. I find myself thinking like this a lot.

I have to remind myself that God uses the weak to accomplish great things for His Kingdom. I am reminded of David. A young shepherd boy. Who killed a lion and bear with his hands, defeated and slayed a giant and was anointed king over Israel. The thing that amazes me is that David had 7 older brothers. Who were strong warriors and who could be king but God chose David- the unlikely one.

I have been reading "Wrestling Prayer" by Eric Ludy. Excellent book by the way.... Eric says this about David and God using the weak for His purpose.

"May this be an encouragement to your soul: Often God's chosen ones aren't the ones packed with muscle and brawn, and the ones like Saul, who stand head and shoulders above all of Israel. Our God does not build His mightiest warriors out of the stuff of the flesh, but out of the stuff of willingness and desire. God esteems the inner yieldedness of a man and not the physical strength of a male or his ability to grow a thick beard. God chooses Davids- the overlooked, the ones of lowly birth, the young men and women of a single-heart for God....David had the right heart. It was the kind of heart that could be bent to God's agenda, that could learn to love as God loves, serve as God serves, feel compassion as God feels compassion, and feel hatred for the things God hates. David may not have been the strongest, the tallest, or the most esteemed of his brothers-but he was the one with the mightiest heart. David had the raw materials God looks for in His heroes- humility and childlike trust in God."

-Eric Ludy, "Wrestling Prayer" chapt. 4, page 70 and 71

"But HE said, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."
2 Corinthians 12:9-10

2 comments:

lesliegoyer said...

wow, I love this! It's so encouraging to be reminded that God doesn't need US to be strong enough.

I think I might just have to steal this book from you, too. ;)

Sarah Holman said...

Great post!