Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Abide.

Abiding. That has been the theme of my life this last week.... and my lack of it on a daily, moment by moment consistancy. John 15 has been the passage that the Lord has used to convict me and teach me on abiding.
 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full."

(John 15:1-11 ESV)

Jesus is the true Vine and God the Father is the overseer or vinedresser. Whatever branches do not produce fruit He throws away but God prunes the branches that due produce fruit.... thus allowing us to produce more fruit. Conviction is God pruning us so that we may be more holy and spiritual fruit producers! Don't shy away from the conviction of the Lord... it hurts, yes. But it is for God's glory and our greatest good.

Abide in Christ... knowing that we cannot produce fruit alone. Apart from Him we can do nothing. NOTHING. Do not think that we can live even a minute of this Christian life without Christ. We will fail and fail miserably when we begin to think that we are "spiritual enough" or able to handle the situation without Christ. When we do not abide in Christ- we will not desire to be with Him. We will not desire to see Him glorified in our lives, we will not seek Him above all things and we will not desire to have His will fulfilled in our lives. (I am speaking of personal experience on this... by the way. ) Realize this! I cannot even take my next breath unless God gives it to me. Our lives are completely dependant upon God's grace. Yet, we live as though we are in control and able to determine our future. May we learn to be abiding dependantly upon Christ.

And may we not be a branch that does not produce fruit and withers away only to be burned. Let us not be lukewarm in our devotion, our love and commitment to Christ. He must be everything to us! So ABIDE my friends!!

So how do we abide? How do we abide in His Word? Just like how we cannot bear fruit by ourselves we also cannot abide by ourselves. The Holy Spirit must enable us to abide. It is the constant yielding of our lives to the Holy Spirit. Something that I have been needing to learn is how to live continually in the Presence of the Lord. How do I have continual conversation and intimacy with Christ. How I have found it is when I commit my life, my way, my day and every circumstance to the Lord. It is laying in on the alter and saying, "have your way." I find that when I am in continual conversation to the Lord my desire will be for Him and to abide in Him.

I have been memorizing Scripture which is one way to abide and also that it may be hid in my heart that I would not sin against God. I have my Bible verses posted on my dashboard in my car so that I can be reciting Scripture while I am driving. Also, I have been making it a habit to pray before I leave to go somewhere. Ususally, it turns to a good prayer time with the Lord while I drive as well. This is just a small way to turn the mundane tasks of today into precious times of abiding in the Lord.

Also, what is keeping us from abiding? Is it the feeling of condemnation or our unworthiness? What is distracting us from spending time with the Lord? Business? TV? Sleep? Movies? Internet? Friends? Know that every moment spend in the presence of the Lord is not a moment wasted and is He is far better than anything that this world has to offer.

I love the song from married duo- Jenny and Tyler called Abide.

You strive, o man, and you strive again, your heart too proud to rest
You labor on, singing those songs, to cover your weakness
Do you fail to recall who you really are and Who caused you to be?
Return o man; return and rest, to a burden light and yoke easy

Abide in your Savior
Abide in His love
The labor of God is to trust in the Son

All you possess…do you forget, as if by your own strength
you earned it? No. He gave you all, everything you have.
Your righteousness, your life, your breath, your daily bread and wine,
His blood, His flesh, His love, His death, Your faith and endless life

Abide in your Savior
Abide in His love
The labor of God is to trust in the Son

Open up your doors
O my heart and soul
Open up your doors
Let the King come in
Let the King come in

Abide in me Savior
Abide in me Love
And daily I'll take my cross, follow after you Lord

Abide in me Savior
Abide in me Love
The labor of God is to trust



(Written by Tyler Somers and Jenny Somers)


No comments: