Pages

Monday, May 25, 2009

Magnificent Obsession

We have too many distractions. Facebook, Myspace,Youtube, ipods, cell phones T.V. and if you missed your favorite show you can go online and find it on there! I am not saying that these things are wrong, they are just distractions. For me, I check my facebook, blog and a few other sites each day, but it is so easy to let those things distract me from my daily tasks. First and foremost, having my quiet time and prayer with God. Consistency in my quiet times has always been a struggle for me. Diligence isn't my stronghold.So easily, I can let other things distract and become first priority in my day.
There are days where I just go through the motions doing the stuff I need to do and forget that I haven't spent time in God's Word! The very thing I need most! It's the easiest route but one with the hardest consequences. When I haven't spend time in God's word and in prayer, that is when I am most vulnerable to lash out at a sibling, complain or disrespect my parents, feel discontent, and most worldly. But on the days where I do have my quiet times, those are the days when I have a servant's heart, kind and compassionate towards others and closest to God and satisfied in Him.

Facebook, Internet and other entertainment avenues are helpful at times but are we consumed by them? Are they keeping us from spending more time in God's Word? Do we think more about what going on in Facebookland rather than what we read in our devotions that day?

Being the social person that I am it is hard to have self-control in guarding my entertainment time that I spend surfing the web and watching TV.I can easily see that it could be an obsession if I not careful. These are precious days that God has given me in the life stage that I am in. How am I going to use it? Lying on the couch watching TV, sitting in front of a screen? Our use every minute to point others to Jesus?

Just some things to think about.

I think Steven Curtis Chapman's song "Magnificent Obsession" says it all.



Lord, You know how much
I want to know so much
In the way of answers and explanations
I have cried and prayed
And still I seem to stay
In the middle of life’s complications
All this pursuing leaves me feeling like I’m chasing down the wind
But now it’s brought me back to You
And I can see again

This is everything I want
This is everything I need
I want this to be my one consuming passion
Everything my heart desires
Lord, I want it all to be for You, Jesus
Be my magnificent obsession

So capture my heart again
Take me to depths I’ve never been
Into the riches of Your grace and Your mercy
Return me to the cross
And let me be completely lost
In the wonder of the love
That You’ve shown me
Cut through these chains that tie me down to so many lesser things
Let all my dreams fall to the ground
Until this one remains

You are everything I want
You are everything I need
I want You to be my one consuming passion
Everything my heart desires
Lord, I want it all to be for You
I want it all to be for You

You are everything I want
And You are everything I need
Lord, You are all my heart desires
You are everything to me

3 comments:

Lighthouse Prayer Line said...

Hi Mariah,

Thanks for sharing that with us! We love your
site!! Amen & amen! :)

Hey. If you get the opportunity, would you
mind praying for the prayer requests that are
on our main page?

May the Lord bless you and your family!!

Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley Seay
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org

ps - please consider "following" our blog
-or- atleast grab one of our free, linking,
blue buttons. ( see top sidebar at
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org ).

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Visit Us Soon!.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´•

Kim said...

I agree with what you have said here! You are a very wise young woman...so good to be thinking on these things!

I've got a great facebook article that I am going to be linking to from my blog soon...you will really appreciate it, so check back!

Gracie is looking forward to spending some time with you soon! Thanks so much!

Joanna Kristina said...

Mariah,

Thank your for this piece! What you said here is so true; I need Him every hour...

Blessings!