Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Uganda Update!

Hello!! Well, I've been in Uganda for a couple of days now and I love it so much! First of all, the beauty of the country is amazing! Everything is so lush, green and vibrant! I even has a tiny view of Lake Victoria from my guest house window! Secondly, the people are wonderful! The Ugandan people are so friendly and welcoming. So it has been a fairly easy transition.

I wanted to tell you all a little bit about what I am doing at Amani. Right now, I am one of 6 volunteers at Amani. We assist the "Mamas"- Ugandan women who are the main caretakers of the children. I am working in the toddler/preschool area. We are down in wit the kids by 8:30am and help them with dressing and brushing their teeth. Then we have story time, flash cards, coloring pages and other fun activities. We are done by 12:30 for lunch. The afternoon is our time to rest while the kids have their naps. Around 4pm we are ready to play with the kids outside in the yard until supper. The kids love to be loved on, held and have one on one attention- which I can love to give!! Yesterday, one of the kids said,"Auntie Mariah, I love Jesus" it made me so happy. I asked him, "Who loves you?" He said, "Jesus"

I have really enjoyed visiting and experiencing Jinja. It is a beautiful town. And I love the culture. Everything is very slow-paced and easy-going. Some fun things we have been able to do is: ride bodas (motorcycle taxis) one time with one if the kids on my lap!! Have "chips" (french fries) and boy, were they yummy!! :)

Thank you all so much for your prayers I can definitely feel your prayers!

PRAISES:
* I am feeling really well! I have not had any problems with adjusting to the food. I and have had ZERO jetlag!
* I am quickly adjusting to serving the kids and the mamas.

Prayer Requests:
* Pray for spiritual strength and quality time with the Lord each day. Pray that I would also be able to take time to spend time praying and memorizing and mediating on Scripture.
* Pray for grace, patience and humility as I serve. Pray that I would be a blessing to everyone who I am in contact with.
* Pray that I would continue to stay healthy and sickness free. Also, if you all could pray that I would sleep well and that I would feel refreshed each morning.


Amani has a policy that I am not able to post pictures on Facebook or my blog of the children at Amani- for privacy and protection of the children. I totally understand the reasoning behind this. I have set up a private website that I am able to post pictures of the kids that I am working with. If you are interested, you may send me an email (jesusismyhope316@gmail.com) and I will send you the info and password to the website. Of course, I will be more than willing to show them to you when I get back! :)

No comments: