Pages

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Wait. Be Still & Trust.

Today I was studying Psalm 62- one of my favorites. The verses that really stood out to me was verses 1-2; 5-8.
"For God alone my soul waits in silence; from Him comes by salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.... For God alone, my soul, waits in silence, for my hope is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts before Him; God is a refuge for us."

Twice in the Psalm it says that "For God alone my soul waits in silence." Why do we go to the Lord? Is it to check it off the "to do list" for the day? Is it to keep us from feeling guilty? Or do we do it out of habit? Or is it because we desire Him? We want to be with Him? Are we there for God alone or just for the benefits? The second part of the sentence says "in silence." Are we waiting upon God? But are we waiting in silence? Or are we fidgeting or being distracted or giving God our input on what we think He should do in the matter? Or do we patiently wait upon Him? Am we still and quiet before the Lord? Is our expectation in Him alone or am we trusting in ourselves or in outward sources? Am we still before Him knowing that He is God? Is there anything in our lives, any distractions that is keeping us from being still before Him- big or small?

Here is a excerpt from a little book called, "Streams in the Desert" It is a daily devotional that is becoming one of my favorite books. So many good little gems to pull out of it. I read this on June 17th. "Do you ever sit, or even kneel, before the Lord and yet are conscious of a fluttering in your spirit? If so, you are not exhibiting a sense of genuine stillness while in His presence. A dear person told me this very thing a few days ago. "I prayed about a certain thing," she said, "but I did not wait for the answer to come." She did not get still enough to hear God speak but instead went away and followed her own thinking in the matter. The result proved disastrous, and she was forced to retrace her steps. Oh, how much energy we waste! How much time we lost by refusing to lower our wings of our spirit and become totally quiet before Him! Imagine the calm, the rest and the peace that will come as we wait in His presence until we hear from Him!

Verse 8 it says, "Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts before Him; God is a refuge for us."  We are called to trust in the Lord. Not part of the time. Not when things are going good. But ALL of the time. Every moment of the day. In every circumstance we are to trust.

This verses caused me ask a lot of questions to my heart about my trust in the Lord. 
Do I trust God at all times? Where does my trust lie? In myself? In others? In my environment? In my family or in their faith? In my money or lack of? Does my trust rest in God alone?

We are commanded to pour our hearts out before Him. He is the one I turn to when I need counsel or advice or someone to talk to? Do I seek His wisdom or man's? Do I share my deepest longings and desires with Him or others? God is our safe refuge to share our most intimate thoughts of our hearts with. They are safe there.

So are we waiting upon Him? Are we still before Him? Is our trust and confidence in Him alone?


No comments: